This recipe capitalizes on the ease and popularity of the famous Oreo Truffle, with a holiday twist using the yummy gingerbread Oreos that have been available during the holidays for the past few years. I enjoy making homemade peanut-butter cups and I find that these are a bit easier to make than the truffles.
They have a creamy center redolent of spices and the cream cheese filling really sets this off…kind of like a cream cheese frosting on a carrot cake. These look very pretty with foil candy cups and matching silver or gold sprinkles.
- 36 gingerbread Oreo cookies
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 16 ounces white chocolate
- 50 candy cups, about 1 inch in diameter
- sprinkles (optional)
- Place all cookies in a food processor and pulse until the mixture forms very fine crumbs.
- Add the cream cheese and pulse just until mixture comes together.
- Place HALF the white chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot (not boiling) water. Stir until melted.
- With a pastry brush or the back of a teaspoon, thinly coat the insides of 50 candy cups (exact size depends on manufacturer but these should be about an inch in diameter) . I prefer the foil kind because they hold their shape better. If you coat these too thick, you will need to make smaller balls of gingerbread filling (next step) in order to fit. Allow to cool until solid.
- Scoop out scant 1-inch balls of gingerbread filling and gently press into each cup, flattening out the tops.
- Place the other half of the white chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot (not boiling) water. Stir until melted.
- Top each gingerbread cup with melted chocolate. While chocolate is still soft you can add some sprinkles, if desired.
- Allow to set. I prefer to refrigerate these.