Our Espresso Heart Cookies are melt-in-your-mouth espresso-flavored sandy-type cookies dusted with powdered sugar.
Makes about 48
3/4 cup ground pecans
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons espresso powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/4 cup cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
extra powdered sugar
- Stir together pecans, butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, espresso powder and vanilla, mix well. Sift flour and salt, stir into nut mixture. Chill.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Roll out chilled dough between two sheets of plastic wrap lightly dusted with powdered sugar. The thickness should be a bit more than 1/2 inch.
- Cut cookies with a small heart-shaped cookie cutter (about 1-1/2 inches diameter. Smaller or larger will make more or fewer cookies).
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake until set but not brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Do not overbake or they will fall apart.
- Allow to cool few minutes, so that cookies can be moved to a cooling rack without falling apart. These are very delicate but as they cool they will firm up. Dust with extra powdered sugar.